Monday, July 22, 2019

It's a Beautiful Day for a Neighbor


It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

These lyrics always instill two emotions from me: happiness and sadness – both – at the same time.

I vividly remember watching Mr. Rogers and feeling a sense of joy that the world is going to be okay, as long as we do our part to make the world a beautiful place. Then, I think of the world today and all the violence, anger, and frustration – it makes me sad that so many have forgotten these easy thoughts.

With the resurgence of both the documentary and the upcoming movie release starring Tom Hanks, I was inspired to write this blog today based on the love Fred Rogers shared that will live in infamy.

As school leaders, we have a moral obligation to lead and model the way to be a beautiful neighbor. “So let's make the most of this beautiful day” and check out these
three quotes Fred Rogers states (based on the trailer) and let’s explore the implications for our work as eduleaders.

1.    “We are trying to give the world many positive ways to deal with their feelings.”
As school leaders, we must create opportunities each and every day for our students and staff to express their words and feelings in healthy way that are open and honest. Make time each morning to conduct a classroom meeting to discuss the day’s events of the previous evening. Or share a situation that occurred in school yesterday and break down how to handle the situation differently next time. We need to model in our classrooms each and every day how to handle situations when conflict occurs.
Note: Regardless of your level (elementary, middle, or high), we must call out inappropriate behavior and give alternatives for ways in which we handle challenging situations. We are called to help all kids be successful – we must develop positive relationships with students first then worry about our content second.

2.    “Sometimes we have to ask for help and that’s okay.”

School is a place where we learn from our mistakes. No one likes to be wrong and make mistakes. We must push students to try and fail. Then, reflect on our learning and grow from the experiences. Many of our students are fearful of making mistakes (let’s be honest – so are we!). We need to create safe environments where we can ask for help without feeling ridicule, sadness, or embarrassment. Use a quick Google Form and ask your students if they feel comfortable asking for help? What do you find out? How do you respond? Develop a focus group of students and adults to review the information. Act on the findings. Ensure school is a place where mistakes are okay, and help can be given to those who need it. Check out Way #33 in Instructional Change Agent” for more information.

3.    “I think the best thing we can do is to let people know that each one of them is precious.”

When is the last time you told a student he/she is valued? When have you told him/her you are glad you are school today? We may think we do this, but do we enter into a conversation with each student every day? When I taught secondary level, I had 100+ students and I felt disconnected from my students because there were just so many to keep track of each day. I found myself worrying about the masses and not the individuals. So, I pulled out a secret from my own middle school teacher Cindy Kiefer. I greeted each student at the door, shook his/her hand, and told him/her I was glad he/she was at school (or other variations).
I also divided my class into fifths. I made sure each day I spoke to those students about life, interests, and things outside of language arts. This was a challenge and felt a little forced at times. But, I stuck with it and became more natural. I spent less time ‘on the list’ and more time on the conversations. All students need to know they are precious and special. We must go the extra effort in ensuring they feel this way. Remember, students won’t learn from people they don’t like. By working each and every day to build a solid relationship we are ensuring that we help students reach their potential! Each student needs to know they are precious. You can make that happen.





No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s Time to Say Goodbye to Final Exams

As we embark as parents with a high school freshmen, we have had many adjustments. No adjustment has been more difficult than the...