Friday, March 1, 2013

"Arg!" and "Read!"

"Arg!" Today was the day when I realized the power of one. Today was the day I realized education can be changed from the inside out. I think I have always known this deep down. However, the responsibilities of the educator seemed to be hidden by data warehouses, data mining, forms, reports, and graphs. Yet, beyond the colorful charts are 20 faces in a classroom that are more than reports. They are the future of education. I often become annoyed with the rhetoric and the cliche comments in education, but yet, I am drawn to the infamous pendulum shift of education. Somewhere between data warehouses and students' first there has to be a common middle ground. It is the responsibility of us all to make education what we want it to be. I have a message to send, and I plan to send it.

Read Across America Day celebrates the pure joy of reading. Celebrating Dr. Seuss' Birthday, each classroom across America found unique and creative ways to recognize reading! At Lincoln Elementary School, I chose to celebrate Lincoln readers as one of my favorite literary characters of all time...the infamous and misunderstood Captain James Hook from the Peter Pan author  J.M. Barrie.

The look of joy, excitement, and fun was evident by all students (and staff). This was one of the most fun days I had in my role as an educator. I think it is safe to say that my students and staff had a very enjoyable day during Read Across America Day. Upon returning to school this week, I still see the finger hooks of students, "arg!" being shared, and heard about the favorite stories from the students.

What does this tell me? Two things: One, we can have fun and do school at the same time (who knew!). Second, kids like to see the adults whom they look up to and admire imitate reality and fiction.

We change schools from the Inside Out by bringing literature alive!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s Time to Say Goodbye to Final Exams

As we embark as parents with a high school freshmen, we have had many adjustments. No adjustment has been more difficult than the...