Saturday, January 6, 2018

Top FOUR Leadership Legacy Skills: #1 Integrity

Top Ten Leadership Legacy Skills
#1: Integrity




Gosh, 2017. What a pain in the butt you were, right? I can hardly begin to put my finger on all the not-so-great events that took place in our world. I’m not sure you’d want me to list them and give my opinion either – we might not be friends by the end of this post if I did. But, here is what I did in 2017 that you are about to learn in this journey with me. Through my observations in US and World politics, journalism, Hollywood, and frankly every other experience that I encountered was an entire series of leadership qualities that we need today in education. I have taken 2017 and created a Top List of Leadership Legacy Traits that are necessary to pull us from the brink of an educational meltdown (and I’m pretty confidence that other sectors of the economic world would also benefit). Are you ready?

Integrity. If you visit my Twitter Account (go ahead and do this – follow me, too!) @adamddrummond you will see that my description begins with: Integrity. [W/O it nothing else matters]. I’ve longed value this trait and believe it serves as my own personal moral compass. Before we explore this trait, please know that I’m not on a might horse looking down and judging. I have my own flaws – ask my wife, children, or parents. They are brutally honest. ALL. THE. TIME. But, I do strive to use integrity in everything that I do.

Why Integrity? Why do we need to have leaders that use integrity? Why is this the most important leadership trait? Why do we need to model this daily? I could give you a thousand more whys – they make great essential questions you know? But, truly why integrity? There are three reasons why integrity is a leadership trait that educational leaders must model to be successful.

The first is DECISION MAKING. I’ll never forget Dr. Marilyn Quick’s leadership classes at Ball State University (Chirp! Chirp!) when studied the Thinking Hats theory. Simply put this theory takes a current problem and positions the leader to examine the situation from multiple perspectives. After examining the situation from these perspectives, the leader can better predict the outcome. So, what does this have to do with integrity. We have an obligation to approach problems with an open mind and examine all facets of the issue. Then and only then, are we able to begin formulating a plan for solutions. Our solutions must be rooted and based in a belief system. The belief system is what helps guides the decisions. When we use our belief system and this theory we can make decisions rooted in integrity. We can develop a well-rounded solution that has been thought out, examined from multiple perspectives, was not concocted in a rash and flippant moment.

EYES ARE EVERYWERE. If we have observed anything in 2017, social media has created a horrific black hole of facts, fiction, and everything in between. Plus, we are all an expect because we have an @ in front of our name on Twitter or an Instagram Account or a like button that has become more powerful than the sword (#ToldYouSo). Now more than ever we must operate within elevated levels of integrity. We must do this because everyone watches how we act as leaders. We are always ‘on’. When I was a principal, I shared with my staff that I always tried to be the “same Dr. D.” every day. This meant that no matter the situation I was approaching that moment in a calm, rationale, level headed moment. Our students (and staff) deserve that. Was I 100% successful? No, but I strived to be darn close. Even when a fifth grade threw his entire tray of food on me (I walked up to the line and was treated to this gift because he thought he was in trouble) I managed to keep my cool in front of 125 other students (#WillPower). You see, more and more students are unable to have experiences where adults are consistent in their own behavior and choose to act with integrity in each situation. We, as educational leaders, must model this and intentionally teach and call out the behavior when it is modeled.

WE ARE UNDER ATTACK. It’s true. Education has become scrutinized in all aspects. State and federal accountability don’t help when we minimize a school’s performance to a letter grade (though that may be changing for some states). Or when we have political leaders continuously criticize teachers and educational leaders. Or when everyone is now an expert because they graduated from high school or college. But, through all this, we must make the right decision for our students. Every. Single. Time. We don’t have any other option. We must act with integrity so that our own decisions and solutions are not questioned. When we jeopardize our integrity to make an easy choice even though it’s wrong, we lose even more credibility. We must operate at the highest level of integrity at all costs for the sake of our students.

If we don’t, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s Time to Say Goodbye to Final Exams

As we embark as parents with a high school freshmen, we have had many adjustments. No adjustment has been more difficult than the...