Thursday, January 4, 2018

It's Hard to Pour from Empty Cup


Can you believe it is 2-0-1-8? I mean seriously where did the time go? I have thought about this a lot over the last two weeks as we celebrated another Christmas and New Year. Perhaps it’s the fact that my 7th grader only has five more Christmas mornings where he still at home with us. Or maybe it’s the fact my sister-in-law moved to California in November and this was the first Christmas Eve that didn’t include her in 17 years. Or maybe it’s the fact that my three-year-old daughter is now potty-trained and we have officially ended the baby years. Yet, it could be the gray hair that shows up in the mirror.

Whatever the reason, I have committed 2018 to be the year of me. Yep, that is right I am committing 2018 to be one of the most selfish, Adam-centric years ever. You may raise an eyebrow at this comment or may even think he already does that. But, I’ve decided that I am going to worry about what is important to me and be sure I am prioritizing those areas above the needs of others. [Insert snarky judgement here]. You should do the same.

My Family. I have spent the better part of my adult life ensuring that I am giving back to my community, involved in service organizations, church, activities, etc. These are all noble and worthwhile endeavors. But, have I created a good balance for me and my family? Nope. But, that’s going to change. My wife and children often get the leftovers at the end of the day (and frankly there isn’t much). So, I need to do better.

My Health. Speaking of leftovers, I have spent the last three-year years in a real wind of change from the early arrival of our daughter and job changes. In that three-year period, I have chosen to not prioritize fitness and health. This has taken its toll on me (as I sit here feeling like an achy, old man). I need to recommit eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and exercising (saying that makes me nauseous already). I have joined an online fitness and health nutrition group that is going to be my accountability. I have My Fitness Pal ready to go. I just need a taser for every time I think of eating something bad (yes I know it’s moderation) or really wanting a diet mountain dew!

My Passion. I promised myself after completing my dissertation in 2014, I would not write anything for three years. Why? I just didn’t want to. After a 200-page dissertation, who wants to pick up the pen and doing anything? The problem is I have a story to tell. I have a passion for helping education leaders reach their dreams and goals. It’s time I put all the ideas into a sensible way to share my ideas with others.

Did you see what I did there? I started each of the last three paragraphs with ‘MY’. It’s about me. It’s about what I want and need. I know that if I make every decision based in these three areas I can create new habits that will create a successful and strong 2018. I need this. I think you might, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s Time to Say Goodbye to Final Exams

As we embark as parents with a high school freshmen, we have had many adjustments. No adjustment has been more difficult than the...